Grab My Button

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tNtwpsb_8EU/Tjw18KKH4VI/AAAAAAAAADE/gn-vmpuFXaw/s1600/blog+button.jpg

About Me

Ohio
I am a twenty-something newlywed looking to add order and purpose to our new life and post-wedding home. Join me as I attempt to work my way through organizing, cooking, decorating and DIYing. I am in no way an expert, or even experienced, at any of these things but I am determined to give it all a try and hoping someone out there can read it and either be amused/comforted by my shortcomings or give me some tips for the future.
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

She Was Running

I in no way aspire to be Forrest Gump.  I am never going to get up one day and just run for the fun of it.  I do not enjoy running.  But for some reason running seems to be my go-to workout.  I've tried many different things: aerobics, spinning, weight-lifting and yoga.  It's all great for a while, and I do really enjoy each type of exercise in some way, but I always go back to running.  I've given this some thought and I've come up with several reasons why this could be:

1. It's easy (in a non-complicated way).  I never have to worry if I'm going to trip over a step, using enough weight, or posing correctly.  All I have to do is run, which I've been doing since I was just a tot.

2.  It's free.  I don't need a membership or any special equipment.  I am lucky enough to have a sweet friend who just gave me her clothes collector treadmill.  Even before I had the treadmill, all I had to do was go outside.

3.  It provides variety.  There is such a range of goals I can set for myself: Today I want to run x minutes.  I'm going to run for x miles today.  I want to reach x speed at x incline today.

4. It's private.  Now I do enjoy getting together with a good friend for some quality time, but if I want a serious workout it helps when I can run in MY basement, in MY outfit of choice, and listen to MY music.  I don't have to worry about other people's opinions of my workout.  The music part is especially dear to my heart because for some reason it seems that everyone LOVES to put workouts to techno music.  NO. I do not like techno, especially not for working out.  Why? Because techno is the same, never-ending, four beats over and over.  Just when you think the song is going to end, it rises back up and starts again.  There are no words and it forces you to focus on the burn in your muscles and your inability to breathe.  Give me some Rhianna or Gaga any day.  Anything I know the words to so that I can focus on that and let my body do her thing.

5. It's iPhone friendly.  Anyone who knows me knows that I  LIVE by my iPhone.  In fact, I had a nightmare dream last night that I lost it, and I had no idea what to do with my day.  There are gobs of apps out there to support your running habit.  I just downloaded one called "Get Running."  It guides you on a nine week schedule from your couch to a 5k.  Not that I have plans to run a 5k, but I needed something that started out slow.  I had surgery about 3 months ago and my body has not been the same since.  I know I have to start from scratch and this app allows me to do it.   There is a nice British girl who guides you through each workout, "In 30 seconds you will run for 1 minute."  It's running for dummies.

I'm sure I could think of more reasons, but I think you get the point.  So while I do not enjoy running, it has its benefits that just keep sucking me back in.  Now I shall go shower off this post-workout "glow."  

No comments:

Post a Comment